Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole recipe. Eggs poured over hash browns, sausage, & cheese; then baked. Simple shit!
Make this beast of a breakfast casserole the morning you want to eat it, or make it ahead of time and let it chill overnight.
The cooking time’s the same either way.
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
1 hr 17 mins
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage (bulk, not link or patties)
- 24 oz. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add the sausage to a large skillet and place over medium heat. Break the sausage apart with a wooden spoon. Cook until the sausage is completely brown, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain off the fat.
- Add the frozen potatoes, cooked and drained sausage, and cheese to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper (I use the same bowl from step 3).
- Pour the egg mixture over the hash brown mixture. Pat everything down with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for one hour. The center should be set and the edges should be golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
This casserole can be made ahead of time/overnight. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator after it is assembled. Remove the plastic wrap before baking as directed in the original recipe (same temperature and time).
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is adapted from: Easy Breakfast Casserole